Old canal / formerly Ludwig-Main-Donau-Kanal
Former Ludwig-Main-Donau-Kanal, created 1836-1846 between Kelheim and Bamberg. Abandoned in 1950. Well-preserved section between Nuremberg-Gartenstadt and Neumarkt Opf. Features some locks that are still functioning, footpaths/cycle paths on the old towpaths (unpaved), sandstone bridges, bridge on the aquaduct houses a 10-metre-high neo-gothic pointed arch with very special acoustics, romantic atmosphere with water lilies; popular recreational area on weekends, the section near Schwarzenbach/Burgthann is sometimes used by the Elfriede horse-drawn boat (from public house to Ludwigskanal).