Alter Südfriedhof (Old Southern Cemetery), Munich
The Alte Südfriedhof (Old Southern Cemetery) in Munich was laid out in 1563 as a plague cemetery outside the former city walls. Between 1788 and 1863 it was the only cemetery in Munich and was closed down shortly before the end of the Second World War. The large, 7 ha site today serves as a park of the district of Ludwigsvorstadt-Isarvorstadt and has been partly planted with deciduous trees. There are still 5,000 old graves on the site, some of which are seriously overgrown.